A few practical tips from a trauma team elective:
- Just walking down the street ‘minding my own business’ seems to be an independent risk factor for being assaulted, stabbed and/or shot.
- If you are cleaning your shotgun, for your own safety and those around you, please make sure it is unloaded.
- If you like to run or bike alone please have some form of identification on you or information to contact a partner or family member.
- If you are working at heights, wear and use your gear. Hook in and be safe.
- Buckle up when you are driving. A bruise from the seat belt is much better than being ejected from your car.
- If you have a trauma in the winter your Canada Goose jacket will be destroyed during the primary survey, sorry.
- CT-A is very useful, but isn’t perfect. There can be surprises, a patient’s retained clothing or the collar can compress vascular injuries.