A little over a month left of my pat leave, my return to the wards is quickly approaching. Soon I’ll be back in clinic and at the hospital caring for others. This time with my family was wonderful, from seeing our son’s first steps to being present to celebrate two of our children’s birthdays next month.
Part of this vacation was also time for myself. Medical school with a growing family was a challenge, and meant I had to put aside some things I enjoy. As mentioned in previous posts I enjoy reading (1, 2, 3). Over the last ~6 months I’ve enjoyed reading/listening to many books in addition to my time with family and occasional writing. I have a long list of books in my queue, some I sought out, some given by friends, and some inherited. Going over my list I’ve finished 31 books and 5 graphic novels this year. Great to have time to read for pleasure and not rush through what I’m reading.
- Letters from a Stoic – Seneca
- The Pleasures of the Damned & Run with the Hunted- Charles Bukowski
- Pale Blue Dot – Carl Sagan
- Tokyo Ghost – Rick Remender
- 50 Years of Memorable Cases – Dr. Herbert Fred
- One Doctor – Dr. Brendan Reilly
- JR – William Gaddis (2nd reading)